The overall health and management of your marketing list can be just as important as the message and creative for your campaign. Keeping your list clean and updated will give you a more thorough and accurate set of data. Enhancing your data can make campaigns more effective, leading to increased sales and ROI.
Tools We Have Available To Help Manage List Hygiene
- Coding Accuracy Support System (CASS) and Delivery Point Validation (DPV): These tools are essential for reducing undeliverable mail and increasing a mailing’s delivery rate. DPV is the process of verfiying the deliverablity of mailing addresses, while CASS provides us a common measure by which to test the quality of the address-matching software.
- National Change of Address (NCOA): Lists are bumped up against the secure database of permanent change-of-address records consisting of names and addresses of individuals.
- BCC Software’s Address Resolution Service (ARS): Once bad addresses have been returned, the Address Resolution Service can correct address data that has been deemed undeliverable. Using a wide variety of private database sources, this tool will compare submitted names and addresses to replace bad addresses.
- Email Validation: We run every new email list through a validation tool prior to the first deployment. Our tool evaluates the syntax of the email, the validly of the domain, and then connects directly to the email server to authenticate if the address exists.
A critical step that is often not followed, is to update your marketing lists once the above processes take place. This not only ensures that outdated or incorrect addresses are removed, but it also reduces the amount of work needed on future deployments.
Additional Best Practices for Improving Your Mailing List
1. Remove inactive customers
Many companies remove customers who haven’t engaged with their emails or made a purchase within a give time frame. Before removing those individuals from their list, they often send a “this will be the last you hear from us” communication to help retain at least some customers. While cleaning a mailing list may statistically result in higher deliverability rates and customer engagement, you’ll want to give this careful consideration.
2. Segment rather than delete
Pay close attention to purchasing habits, engagement levels, and activity. Consider moving a previously active customer to receiving less frequent communications. Review your performance metrics and make adjustments based on changes or trends that you observe.
3. Avoid being treated like spam
Provide your audience with value. If you are expecting them to take action or have a certain opinion about your business, you have to provide them with a message that is important to them. Tailor your message to your audience and find out what they respond to. By testing different messages, keeping material fresh, and taking the time to develop a true offer, your audience will be more likely to respond and encourage additional communications. Provide more relevant information and industry knowledge over constantly pushing your products and services, this helps build trust with your audience. Create a call-to-action that incentivizes action. Finally, make sure you are managing unsubscribes and opt-outs so that they are no longer receiving any communications from you.
Privacy and SPAM Laws
With the strict EU General Data Protection Regulations (GDPR) and similar policies making their way into the United States, it’s more important than ever to follow best practices when it comes to marketing lists. Conditions for consent and opt-ins have strengthened, and purchased lists are seen less and less. The regulations outlined within GDPR require companies to demonstrate how each data subject has consented to the processing of their personal data. Although these restrictions only affect European Union citizens, many US states have passed their own set of laws regarding data and consumer privacy.
4. Make sure you gather your lists from trusted sources
Whether you’re looking for business or consumer data, if you must purchase a list from a data compiler, take the time to ensure the data is customized to your intended audience. Compilers have the ability to define audiences based on unique demographics and interests, so you can target the right people. You should also be sure to verify that the list contains current and accurate data.
5. Consult the experts
If you are unable or unsure where to start with list hygiene, consult the experts. We have tools at our disposal that can help pin-point bad addresses and remove them from your list. This will help save you time and money marketing to people that would never receive your message.
Clean Data Makes Campaigns More Cost Effective!
Not only will you be able to effectively reach your customers through improved delivery, but you’ll also have greater insight into who they are, which can only increase customer engagement with your brand’s messaging. Also, because you are sending to a smaller, more refined list, the cost per deployment will also decrease.